Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Toll House Cookies or Things I Say When Almost Asleep

Dude Write

I'm using an older post this week on Dude Write. Often the method by which a great idea comes is in the botching of an even better idea. I hope you enjoy this one. If you haven't visited Dude Write, you should stop by and read some great posts by writers who happen to be dudes.

 

It was an epically awesome life changing blog post. Here are the notes I took when the idea came to me.

Jerry maguire perfect zip code
Hotel California never stayed there

Yeah, completely blow your mind stuff.

Was I on crack? That is a fair question, the answer to which is no. This is par for the course of a bad typist with ADHD. Awesome ideas are plucked from the orchard at the peak of perfection and then stared at. Why would we cut them? Juice them? Eat them?!?!? Have you lost your mind entirely?

I am reminded (and by that, I mean that Mrs Mynd reminds me, because ADHD makes memories a fleeting memory) of my most famous utterance.

It happened early on in our marriage. We were talking about something (why must you question me for details, are you hoping I will forget the entire point of the story?) in our bed. If my lack of memory serves, it wasn't earth shattering conversation. It wasn't the kind of conversation where cancer was being cured. It was a fairly normal daily conversation. At some point in the whole thing, she asked me a question. Now normally I am fairly lucid and well spoken. On this occasion, I was in some sort of twilight zone and despite hearing and understanding her question, my answer was quite simply...

Certainly the stuff of dreams and legends

"...Toll-house cookies..."

Strangely, the mere uttering of this nonsense immediately registered with my brain and I was awake and fully alert the moment after I said it. Mrs Mynd had the look of a woman who not only heard an answer that she was not expecting, but also one of some serious randomness. She must have sensed the dreamlike quality of my voice as she didn't kill me on the spot and accepted my apology for such a strange answer. Now I am not one to talk in my sleep, or even mutter nonsensical things so I am baffled at what would cause me to form words in this twilighty arena. Even more curious was my choice of phrase, as if I was hungry or had a sweet tooth or something that I clearly have no recollection of having (cause I'm so good with the memory thing) Mrs. Mynd and I had a killer laugh about it and still do to this day.

So to our lack of topic at hand, blogging is especially difficult for those of us with ADHD as our lack of focus makes focusing difficult. Wait, what??? I don't have any lack for ideas, only a lack of time and paper to write them down. I am often writing down the smallest snippet as a title or as a one-liner within the many blogging apps I have at my disposal. More often than not, I am able to recollect with some clarity the thought process that hatched the idea in the first place. I suppose given the hour that this particular note was written, I was in my Toll-House place.

Has this ever happened to you? A killer blog idea? An invention that is simply past due? Maybe you've taken notes for a history class that turned out like "Napoleon... short... Waterloo... Bill...Ted...Whitewater Rafting...jufemlaksjd (that's cursive for something)




 

27 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha!  I'm not ADHD so I can't really understand what you're feeling but I enjoy your sharing it.  I used to talk in my sleep (I may still but Hubs hasn't mentioned it).  At a sleepover the other girls laughed about it when I and another sleeping guest had an actual conversation in our sleep!  Wait!  That's a GREAT idea for a post!  Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I could help.

    Perhaps you should include your URL in your replies so I and my other readers can find you in the ether...

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I've never shouted anything as earth shattering as Toll House Cookies (or anything from Jerry Maguire or The Eagles), I have, on occasion, woken myself up from a sleep with a word, most often nonsensical.  Perhaps it was something vital to a dream, or maybe I just have killer conversations with myself that manifested itself a time or ten, I don't really know.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't shout it...
    I want to know now what dream I was having or would have had with my utterance..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes.

    But not only do I write down nonsensical words and phrases but I speak them into the voice recorder on my iPhone. 

    A post about it is sure to come at some point.  I just have to decide if I am brave enough to post the actual audio.

    On a side note, I just ate a massive amount of McDonalds and am stuffed.  Yet, I desperately want to eat that cookie.  It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6.  I didn't say that you shouted...  Was more my own thing.  And I'm not even going to consider delving into your psyche to figure out why you said Toll House Cookies...  No way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was always loosing jokes.

    But now I have been carrying a notebook with me all the time.

    Now I am always throwing out jokes because they suck.

    The good ones you will remember because they don't rely on context.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I like to think of the random stuff as "material" that may make a dress, a suit, or a pair of socks. Sometimes the material doesn't work out and ends up at MC Hammer's house for some Parachute Pants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am ADD and I understand you perfectly. I LOL at work when I read this. It used to drive my ex crazy. I think thats why he's my ex but that's OK cuz I love me just the way I am and so do my friends and family, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Mynds.... thanks for the comment and the sanity (insanity?) check.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, I do this all the time. I just don't understand why I can't include a little more explanation. I look at my words sometimes and am utterly baffled by what I meant. I recently wrote, "to erase the bone." What in the world??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember being in High School, contemplating for hours how to make the Back to the Future 2 hoverboard... Fast forward to last week, where I woke up yelling 'magnets everywhere!' It freaked my girlfriend out, and it took me hours to put 2 and 2 together.


    Happens to the best of us...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha, that was I'm sure startling. But did it draw you closer together or push you apart?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I'll be thinking about what that means....thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you figure it out, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Half of my desk is covered with random statements and blog post ideas, sometimes I have to close my eyes and just grab one, then I wonder why I wrote that down Ha Ha

    I did a post today about an invention that I feel is long past due and yet no Toll House cookies were involved.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yup, I also tend to jot down bits of phrases and word combinations sometimes. Then I revisit them later and wonder whether I'm getting hidden threat messages from a serial killer....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Unfortunately for my wife, my mind runs off in multiple directions at one time. Sort of like a puppy chasing every new thing that grabs it's attention. We'll be talking about one thing and I'll jump back 4 conversations because all of the sudden, I'll be stricken with something I deem pertinent to that previous conversation. I actually have to put a good deal of effort to keep myself from doing that.


    Still though, on the plus side, she can't blame me for never paying attention?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I put notes into my smartphone when they hit me, so that I can fully explore the idea when I am laptop poised. However, the notes are never complete enough, and I end up thinking, "Wow, what the hell was I thinking?!?"

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't write down things at night because I figure if I don't remember them in the morning it probably wasn't a good idea to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been doing this a lot lately, more than I care to admit. I think I'm getting 'old-timers' decease. Personally I think Toll-house cookies should be the correct answer for every question. I mean who doesn't LOVE Toll-house cookies!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fortunately (?) my notes are always electronic so they don't get lost, they just aren't always intuitive.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Exactly. I wonder if it is another personality.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, I'm fortunate if I can track the current conversation. ADHD does that though.
    We call that "dropping the transmission in translation"

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, and often piecing together what I was thinking is more frustrating than writer's block.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are fortunate not to be kept awake by ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We call that 'part-zimers' and yes, Toll House cookies should be the answer for everything.

    ReplyDelete

Share

Widgets

All Time Most Read