Saturday, January 21, 2012

I Didn't Know I Had to Onomatopoeia Before We Left the House

How many of you clicked on this because you had no idea if I had made up the word Onomatopoeia? Sure it sounds like HakunaMata (sp?) but it's a real word! I reminded myself when I was unintentionally alliterate in a previous post and couldn't remember if it was alliteration or onomatopoeia.


And how many of the rest of you clicked because you wanted to see where I was going to go with it...

Zip.
Wiz. 
Zip.

There ya go.

on·o·mat·o·poe·ia

  [on-uh-mat-uh-pee-uh, ‐mah-tuh] 

noun

1.

the formation of a wordas cuckoo, meow, honk,  or boom,  by imitation of a sound made by or associated with its referent.

2.

a word so formed.

3.

the use of imitative and naturally suggestive words for rhetorical, dramatic, or poetic effect.

 

So what sound does a fast moving kitten make while passing you in NASCAR laps around the couch....

Mmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooow 

(say it, see what I did there?)

And there you have it.  So tick tock, let's hear your favorites.

8 comments:

  1. SPLAT! Squish, plop, kerplunk, buzz, achoo, boing, ahem, hiccup, and vroom are just a few of my favorites.  For anybody searching for examples, go to http://www.examples-of-onomatopoeia.com/index.html and have fun saying and sounding at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crash
    Bam
    Sock
    ... Pretty much anything that was on the Adam West Batman

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that is hilarious. I clicked on it because I KNEW what the word was and wanted to see where you went with it. I thought some 15 or so years ago that it must be some new madeup word because English got too easy when my kids came home from school and had to write sentences using these strange words, one of which was onomatopoeia.  Bada bing

    ReplyDelete

Share

Widgets

All Time Most Read