Thursday, November 10, 2011

Working out on my Ellipsisical

Me: What do you mean I need to get in shape! I am in shape!
You: Well I mean that you should go to the gym with me. We'll hit the free weights, maybe the stair master for some cardio. We've got plenty of choices for cardio. You can do the bike, the treadmill, the elliptical, or the stair master.
Me: I'm not worried, and I use the ellipsis all the time.
You: you mean elliptical.
Me: sure...
...
In case you haven't been reading, I love me some dot-dot-dot.

The Internet's best resource ever ... Wikipedia talks about my friend as:
Ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, "omission" or "falling short") is a series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word, sentence or whole section from the original text being quoted. An ellipsis can also be used to indicate an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence (aposiopesis). When placed at the beginning or end of a sentence, the ellipsis can also inspire a feeling of melancholy longing. The ellipsis calls for a slight pause in speech or any other form of text, but it is incorrect to use an ellipses solely to indicate a pause in speech.
It's like we share a life the ellipsis and I:
My scholastic career could have been characterized by the words "falling short."
Many of you should feel fortunate about the words or thoughts I have omitted in my share time with you.
Now I rarely have an unfinished thought, except in moments of severe ADHD, so all the... look a squirrel. Which begs the question, what does a squirrel who suffers from crippling ADHD see? (oh look, another squirrel?) (hey, a cricket) (human!!!)
I don't like to think I ever trail off into silence either, I like to think of them as dramatic pauses for effect! But Wikipedia says i shouldn't use it simply to pause... But wikipedia is often wrong.
Melancholy longing? I have it sometimes, but I find the ex-lax works pretty well to relieve it.









4 comments:

  1. I've never known you to have dramatic... ...pauses for effect, except like... almost always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And when you do it, I think Captain Kirk...

    Sent from my iPad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better your school life to fall short than your ... life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice dramatic pause!

    Sent from my iPad

    ReplyDelete

Share

Widgets

All Time Most Read