Monday, November 7, 2011

Poke-mon, like Jamaican me crazy!

It seems like it has been around forever. It predates my time on Facebook. I'm not talking about Pokemon. This is far more insidious.

I'm talking about the Facebook "poke." I even remember the Super Poke.
I don't know where this premise was hatched but instinct born of an IT career tells me that it was an archaic way of telling someone that you were on Facebook when they weren't.
So my son tells me this morning that he couldn't lose a poke war. Being an antique, I surmised that he was referring to Pokemon (and an obvious inability to "catch 'em all"). Nope, we are referring to Facebook pokes. I'm sure I don't want to know how you "war" with that! Do you collect all the Facebook Poke Aces and Kings and take the other dude's threes? This is lamer than a {fill in the blank with some nasty food} eating contest.

So, being the good father that I am, I am all about changing the dynamic. By that I mean redefining the rules, no not cheating! I asked him what happens if he just stopped poking? Turns out that he and his friends seem to think you lose. Not so fast, if you stop after someone has poked you, they can't poke you again! I told him to consider it holding the other person's poke "hostage."

That's just the kind of dad I am, giver of unique and twisted perspective. You aren't my kids, but you too are recipients of my gifts. Whether you want them or not!

1 comment:

  1. I, too, am flummoxed by the "poke."  I hope your son appreciated your excellent fatherly advice!

    ReplyDelete

Share

Widgets

All Time Most Read