Saturday, October 8, 2011

The speed limit or the Son/Sir Continuum

It's been a while since I was pulled over for speeding... by an actual officer. It is frightening that like using a credit card in a store and not having to sign anything, the police can simply take a picture of your car on a road and tell you you were going too fast. In the picture, it's my car all right, but it looks like it is standing still? And how do they know it was me driving? Perhaps my car is a Transformer and not only was it out driving by itself, it was saving the damn planet! What was on the stereo? Was it REM "End of the World as We Know It" or Europe's "Final Countdown" or perhaps Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger"???????

I did get pulled over about a year ago going to work... and doesn't that make for a GRAND day. All in all the experience wasn't as bad as it could have been. He was friendly, I was friendly. They had complaints about speeding and running a light on the UMBC campus, he got me for 37 in a 25... down a hill from a major highway where the speed limit was 55. He as much as told me to take it to court to avoid the points. Ended up he didn't show up and that's right I was "OFF" and "Scott FREE!" So unlike one of my first tickets down in South Bowie at Rt 3 and Pointer Ridge Drive. There is that median strip and two lights that are timed to maximize traffic sitting between them. The conversation went something like this:

Officer: Good afternoon son, do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: No idea.
Officer: Sure you do, son.
Me: Really I don't.
Officer: Come on, son, you know why I pulled you over.
Me: (thinking, if you know that I know, why bother asking me, DAD) Well, you might have thought I wasn't in the intersection when the light was yellow.
Officer: That light was red, son and you weren't in the intersection.
Me: We're going to disagree about that.

The fact that he wanted me to admit some guilt was almost as ridiculous as his repeatedly calling me son. I mean, what would have happened if I'd called him Dad? What would his attitude been?

These days, I've crossed the Son / Sir Continuum of space and time (for you ladies that is the Miss / Ma'am Divide) and officers are either my contemporaries, or they are little snot nosed kids I would have babysat for and now they have a badge and a gun. Good Lord!

One of these days, I am going to become crotchety (yes, I still have that journey ahead of me) and be pulled over for speeding. You all know I won't be the one pulled over for going too slow! Here is how I envision that conversation going.

Officer: Sir, do you know how fast you were going?
Me: I hadn't looked down, but I assume you know.
Officer: I clocked you going 67 in a 45.
Me: 67 what?!?
Officer 67 miles per hour.
Me: Well, that's just impossible, I have no plans to be driving for an hour, and my destination isn't 67 miles away.
Officer: That's not really how it works, sir. The Speed Gun tells me how fast you are going.
Me: so, your talking gun, that you pointed at an innocent man, says it thinks I am going that fast.
Officer: Just give me your license and registration.
Me: Have you been following me for my entire journey? I have been on 4 roads so far. Speed "Limits" I believe were 25, 35, 55, and 45. With kids playing, obscene numbers of traffic lights, and other idiot drivers, I believe the amount of time I was on those roads and what your Speed Gun would whisper in your ear as my magic number, I feel that I have been on the road for about 30 minutes and have gone roughly 13 miles. that roughly equates to a mathematical reality of 26 miles in 60 minutes, which means I was actually going too slow. That isn't counting all the time I have wasted here with you teaching math...

 

 


Me: Honey, do you have any money to bail me out of jail?

 

Dude Write
I'm hooking up something older for the Dudes over at DudeWrite this week. This post seems close to the theme of 16 and Licensed to Thrill. If you haven't clicked over there, you should do so soon. How about now? Click on the link or the picture and check out some really fantastic writers. On Sunday, you can even come back and vote for your favorite. I suspect it will be mine, but give the other writers a chance and a vote. You'll have four more after voting for mine. 

24 comments:

  1. Hahahaha I dare you to actually try that in real life. I may even chip in for part of the bail amount!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time I got pulled over was because left a little rubber making a right-on-red to beat the oncoming traffic. When the officer asked me if I knew he pulled me over, I replied, "Because I was stupid." He laughed and we started chatting. After he noticed the DOD decal on my windshield and discovered I a captain in the Navy, he let me off with warning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never piss off someone who can order you to take a cavity search.

    Just sayin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, nice post Dude... the last time somebody inappropriately called me 'son', I took the greatest pleasure in responding with: "Son??!...I've got SOCKS older than you, you snotty little ****..." ...I've not been allowed back in that church since...

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the best ways to avoid getting a ticket is to be wearing your Boy Scout uniform, they pull you over and then see the uniform and the cop is all like "Oh, well just slow it down please."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome speed math!

    The first time I was called "Ma'am" I started laughing... and then I smacked the crap out of the little puke who said it. Okay, not really. But I did call him "sonny." Maybe that's how that vicious circle starts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I especially liked the crotchety old man conversation...really funny! You will be quite the character :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got nailed with one of those camera lights last year. It was 5:50AM on a Sunday morning. I was making a right hand turn to drop something in the mail. There wasn't a single car around me in 10 mile radius. The ticket was for not coming to a complete stop before turning ($75). The worst part was there was no option for an appeal. You either pay the ticket or be served a warrant. LAME!


    Enjoyed it Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm only 41 and I have crossed the divide. I am "Sir" and "Mr Storch" and all I can do is resist the urge to turn around looking for my father. It's bizarre and something I'll never get used to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is sorta ironic that the last violation I got was when I was with you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I will be cantankerous in my old age, not that anyone didn't see that coming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, there are some people treated a little better than others. Women are more frequently given a warning. Comedy certainly doesn't hurt. Glad to see serving your country helps, though I wonder if the MPs are impressed as easily?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, snap. Hadn't thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha, I'm past the "son" stage for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have my old cub scout uniform in the attic, maybe I should try to wiggle into it for days when I want to fly...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, to get a nice smack in...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Without a doubt,I will be crotchety.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had just started not feeling bad about that....thanks. Lol (specially included just for you)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, kids calling me Mr. weirds me out a little. I usually ask them to call me Mr. Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah the speed cameras and traffic light cameras are the worst. "yes, your honor, I would like to face my accuser" meets "smile!" ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's a certain joy to starting life at 35... no good or bad credit whatsoever... no traffic violation history... no criminal background... just think of the damage I can now do on the unsuspecting public!

    Fun post :) you're particularly good at creating dialog which isn't always easy to do - at least not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I expect, that by the time I'm old and crotchety, I'll have shrunk back to the point that I'm reaching up to grip the steering wheel. Unfortunately, I'll be right at eye level with the speedometer and won't have an excuse for not knowing how fast I was going.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww gee thanks *blush*

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha so true, Ken. I don't really want to be that guy though.

    WG

    ReplyDelete

Share

Widgets

All Time Most Read