Saturday, February 16, 2013

Hope, Loves All Things

Do you ever fantasize about winning the lottery? I know that I have done it. It's fun, even if you don't actually buy a ticket.

Are you a spender or a giver or a saver? Would you quit your job? Quit working altogether? Would you put in two weeks or just not show up? I'd like to think I'm the kind of guy who would put in notice for a month and be on retainer for some period after that. BUT, I think I'd be on a hair-trigger for my resignation. Someone crop dusts my office, the boss looks at me a little funny...I might just leave.

What does it feel like when the dream ends? Your reality factor should have already applied the necessary safeguards, you know you aren't going to win, but...

Normally, we are left feeling a little diminished by the loss. What have we lost, really? It was a mental exercise wasn't it?

 

I'm talking about a little sorrow, nothing catastrophic. I mean, the odds are ridiculous. As someone said, the odds of winning are worse than getting struck by lightning, while riding a unicorn, with Bono.

 

Lately, with all the powerball and other lotteries out there and pools of winners coming forward, you might be inclined to buy in with coworkers and win. Congratulations, your odds just went to Lightning striking the Unicorn you are riding with Bono. Certainly not just rainy outside while you and Bono are riding.

Oh, but you wished and wishing works, write right?

Vent your frustration in some other direction, please. Your sarcasm is not endearing.

Every time the lottery climbs into three digits, I convince myself to play. Why does it have to be three digits? Is it not enough to win 1 million dollars? (Imagine Dr. Evil's voice if you like)

 

You can call me crazy if you like, but here is what it boils down to for me. I'm not ready to invest my hope in a mere pittance. I want to make my dreams come true. I want to make my friends' dreams come true. I want my friends to be able to make THEIR friends dreams come true. I'm a giver, in case that wasn't evident. I like to dream big, hope even bigger.

Only trouble with that is the bigger the dream, the harder it is to wake to reality. That slight sorrow that you feel, well I feel it bigger.

Unicorn, Bono, lighting strikes...it matters not to me in that moment. In my dream, we'll be catching the lightning in bottles made with mermaid scales...to cure cancer. What's your dream?

 

Secret message encoded

 

20 comments:

  1. Nice, sir. I know one thing I'd be happy to get out of winning the lottery is being able to have much more free time to hone writing skills and hopefully publish something! That, and take care of the family, of course...


    And now you've gotten me all worried - I better cancel tomorrow's Unicorn ride with Bono. He'll be heartbroken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather@StretchingMyWingsFebruary 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM

    I have each penny accounted for once I win the lotto. There's investments, trust funds, bills to pay off, a homestead in the middle of nowhere with my name on it just waiting for the day. Like you I don't go in unless the pot is big enough. Of course the higher the payout, the bigger a fall my hopes take!


    Good luck to you! Nut I've got a feeling that the unicorn and Bono are on their way to my house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never play the lottery, but if I did and actually won, I'd pay off my student (ha! I almost wrote "stupid") loans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so I used to do the lottery every week, kidding myself that it wasn't really about clinging to hopes of winning, but more the excitement of watching on TV as the numbers were drawn. Then it got boring, so I stopped.


    Problem is that I had the same set numbers that I used every week, so now I live in fear of hearing that my numbers have come in when I haven't bought a lottery ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often fantasize about wining loto and when I do I start by buying my daughters houses along with my parents and oh year I would love to be able to buy them all a new car too I would also buy my siblings new cars..........lol In fact I love to give so I would spread the money throughout my family..............

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray to God all the time to win the lottery. I guess I should help Him out a bit by buying a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just remember me and my vast hopes when you DO win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice almost Freudian slip. Also a paradox I hope as I'm sure you are less "stupid" after your education?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a giver too! Yay us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be the worst.

    I always randomize it. People claim that way is really stupid. Did I mention they've never won either?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, miracles have to have a little help, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bono is really touchy when you cancel rides, be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. True, they say cancelling unicorn rides with Bono is like getting struck by lightning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This reminds me of the old joke about the farmer who won a million dollars in the lotto, when interviewed and asked what he was going to do with the money,he said he was going to pay off a few of his bills. The interviewer then asked, "what are you going to do with the rest?" The farmer replied, "they're just going to have to wait."


    A million dollars doesn't go as far as it used to. You're a wise man to go for the big jackpots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you see that article last week where a couple hit the lottery... TWICE... in one weekend? Crazy!


    You are a good man Scott. I always thought if I ever hit the lottery I would set up college trust funds for all of my nieces and nephews.I think there's like 20 of them now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My fantasy is to change everyone else's life too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, we givers recognize.


    WG

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, on a reality-check note...the winner ALWAYS gives about half of it away to some self-appointed savior in the government of Uncle Sam.

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why waste such lousy odds on a small pot? Love the joke, BTW.


    WG

    ReplyDelete

Share

Widgets

All Time Most Read