Tuesday, January 29, 2013

How Dare You Sing?!

True story.

So, I'm sitting in church on Sunday (an unnamed Sunday to protect the innocent Sundays (mmm, Ice Cream sundaes)) and as many churches do, the service began with worship. For those of you who consider yourselves among the unclean masses, worship is basically the singing part of the service. At our church, normally there are five songs in worship (they change each week) and we do contemporary as well as some hymns. Anyway, I'm just beginning to get the pipes cleaned out and my groove has entered that area where I'm sure God is listening to me. Suddenly, the dude behind me raises it up a notch....yeah, God's gift to singing is really getting into it and the volume is as loud as the pitch is awful.

No, sorry, that's what the folks in front of me are thinking!

Ever have this happen to you?

I know I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but for some reason I still try. I will find a bigger bucket if I must. I am definitely in the 'joyful noise' category. I've been told that I "blend well" which, I think, comes from my habit of doing impersonations. If someone is singing next to me and they sing well and strong and they aren't in the habit of straying into octaves that only dogs can hear, (that's a lot of implied 'ifs') I can sing pretty ridiculously ok. That said, if the people around me aren't solid or confident, my singing is going to be awfully horrific. I'm the guy who American Idol judges would laugh at, the one that Simon would have overused the word 'really' upon. As in "Really? That was really one of the worst, really awful auditions we've ever really and truly tried to stop listening to. Did you really think that was worth our time? Really?"

Being that guy makes the following admission even worse... When the person behind me is loud and flat, pitchy, or in an octave outside my comfort zone, my groove is gone. I actually get a little ticked off (yeah, I know it's an awesome church attitude) because I can't enjoy the song I am butchering. This got me to thinking... Am I ruining someone else's worship experience? I clearly need a checkup from the neck up. Doesn't one of those songs go "how can I keep from singing?" I'll tell you how.

...And it's not just at church that I am a singing snob.

It's my car, my radio, my music, and I'm driving...I'll be doing the singing. I'm a truly horrible person. I will turn on a song that I like to sing and provided I feel comfortable with you...I'm gonna belt it out. I reserve that right. Nay, I hold the exclusive rights to that right. Now rapping on the other hand, I will gladly share the mic. The kids and I will perform "In the End" by Linkin' Park and it is straight up dope. (Somewhere, their eyes are rolling) If I don't want you to sing in my car or I don't want to hear you sing in my car, I'm likely going to turn up my radio...a lot. I already know I'm a horrible person and I feel bad about that, but feel free to tell me again...I might hear you over the radio. What?

Sing in my office? Fortunately, the business place is not a location where people often sing. It's not that they don't truly desire to sing. I do remember one particular morning when I arrived a little early. I thought that someone was playing some Dana Owens, only to find my co-worker belting it out. I truly didn't mind that.

Sing in the shower? Growing up in a house where the parents were from a more frugal time, showers were encouraged to be less than a song length. Music playing in the bathroom was not something that I grew up with. Pish-posh you say, music isn't necessary to sing in the shower. Well, in my world, unless you're singing Hey Mickey, music is extremely mandatory. By the way, you can thank me later for the ear worm!

So, are you truly horrible like me or are you a good singer?

 

16 comments:

  1. When I sing I sound like a squirrel chattering over the loss of an acorn. Not pleasant at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sing like a nut when no one's looking, and I'm middling at best. I won't torture anyone with a serious attempt to sing, but I've done some excellent renditions of popular songs in Cartman singsong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one of those awful singers. Like you, I can do all right in the middle of a singing crowd to just join in with, but take them away and no one would want to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm awful and I don't blend well. I just keep it low unless I'm by myself. At our church, the music is so loud I can't hear anyone else singing except the person with the mic. Now that I think about it, I kind of like that. Wait, I forgot, my earplugs might have something to do with not being able to hear anyone else singing,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I know exactly what you mean. Great visual!

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha. Cartman is my favorite, but not sure I want to hear him sing! Thanks
    WG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah. If I had a bucket list longer than "make a bucket list" I think one of the entries would have to be to sing solo in front of an audience, just to prove I wasn't too chicken to try. I'd need lessons beforehand though!
    WG

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and what's with the people who can sing blocking one ear? Is that because they can't stand their voice and would block both if they didn't have to hold the mic??
    When I do it, I think I can hear the snot in my sinuses gurgling...but that could actually be my singing voice.
    I mean, does hearing yourself in mono actually help in some way?

    Thanks for provoking that thought...

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  9. "showers were encouraged to be less than a song length" -- awesome line! I think I'm the only Filipino who refuses to do karaoke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually have SING KARAOKE on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you...video please!

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've NEVER done karaoke. I should sing in front of strangers, preferably far from home, before I sing in front of friends.
    WG

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I sing it sounds like someone is killing a cow...............I am that bad and when at church I like to sing in a whisper.............lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Singing in a whisper is not an art that I've mastered.

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was in choir in high school and I was actually not too bad. Yet, I HATE singing in public nowadays. Hate it.

    Also, I want you to post a video of you singing the "what it meant to me will eventually be a memory..." part of "In the End"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll see what I can do. We hit The Turkeyhill Experience yesterday. I rapped my commercial. I posted it in my Facebook. Does that count as singing in public? The birthday party of pre-teen girls laughed, that's good, right?
    WG

    ReplyDelete

Share

Widgets

All Time Most Read