Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pinky, the Travel Diva

Just another reason to dislike AT&T

Thanks to whatever that company is that had the little girl stow her stuffed animal in daddy's luggage to remind him of her love and her impatience for his return...

Such began the adventures of Pinky, the stuffed pink unicorn.

(because it was obviously a girl unicorn and names like 'Larry' are just not appropriate for GIRL unicorns)


I've been taking Pinky on trips since my little girl, Princess Sassy Pants, saw that ad. Pulling a pink unicorn from your bag while trying to have TSA check your laptop is either exceedingly cute or decidedly creeper, there really isn't a middle ground.

You're totally either "great dad" or "don't take candy from strangers."


Most of the time the pictures don't have to be epic, just the fact that you're thinking about your little girl enough to embarrass yourself by pulling a pink unicorn out of your bag (and folks I'm being literal, not figurative here, so get your minds out of the gutter) is the key.

Many pictures are simply shots of Pinky lounging on hotel beds or primping in the mirror. (she's a bit vain...more on that later)


There are pictures of Pinky at the airport and with various grandmother types. More often than not, the grandmothers are taking the pictures of me holding Pinky.

Occasionally, the scene changes to include the slightly more dramatic poses. Pinky has been to the beach. (the green shirt is for color contrast people!)


I've climbed tall mountains for Pinky.

Fortunately, the climbers around are less likely to think you are a creeper and take your picture... well if they didn't bring kids.

But...


Pinky is a bit of a diva. One might use the B word if one were more of a potty mouthed blogger.

Dealing with her moods is tiring. Take for instance this picture recently snapped from a hotel room with a beautiful scene in the background, it's enough to melt a little girl's heart. What you don't realize is that this is how Pinky who has no hands, let alone fingers, flips you off...

Yeah...

Diva! (spelled with a B)

A risk taker, a total devil-may-careWho does this?
And this one... Nightmares!
 

Statements that start with "sometimes you ride the buffalo, sometimes the buffalo rides you" never end well.
 


But, the squeals of joy at both pictures of the adventures of Pinky, as well as Pinky's safe return are well worth the time and effort in the eyes of a young girl.

Yeah...Pinky... It's all about Pinky.



Once again, I'm joining forces with YeahWrite.me and bringing another fantastic post. I know I promised Arson and to some of you, bunnies, but alas the suspense must build on the one and frankly Pink Unicorns are way cuter than bunnies (until you read this, of course)

 

 

67 comments:

  1. Cute idea! My kids haven't decided to do this to my husband yet, but if/when I get to go on business trips, I'm bringing my garden gnome - a la the Travelocity gnome.  And Amelie. It was Amelie at the very first, wasn't it?  

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like a really good dad. Totally not a creeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you do this!  That is so awesome!  You are an amazing dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so very sweet! But yes, I would probably think you were a tad creepy if I saw you pulling out the Pinky in public. The things we do for our children! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally, completely love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Flat Stanley should have cornered the market before the traveling gnome took over :)  The pink unicorn is great, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank god you cleared up that metaphor/euphemism situation.

    There is nothing worse than holding your pink unicorn in one hand, and the stuffed toy in the other.

    It could have been awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww sounds like Princess Sassy Pants is one lucky little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A girl after my own heart. I love unicorns and butterflies. My granddaughter just gave me a sequined butterfly keychain I keep on my purse. Only a real man and a great father could carry a pink unicorn with him though, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great Dad!  And by the way - "diva, with a B" - I'm totally stealing this!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm totally putting it on something in my Zazzle store, lol! But use it.
    And thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "real men pull pink unicorns out at the airport" more zazzle store fodder...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lawn gnome is awesome. If I was picking I would probably have gone with a troll.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hhahah those are great pictures! I never thought of it as coming off as creepy.  But it kind of does.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always carry Children's Benadryl because I am hypersensitive to it. I actually offered some to a mom on a plane once. She accepted, but I still felt like a creeper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think my only response is "aw, shucks!" and I mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is a really good ice breaker, some dads feel lucky and others feel sad.
    I imagine you could play the divorced dad and pick up women, but that would be way creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for commenting, Pinky may make a cameo in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, surprising that Stanley hasn't been bought and used for a travel site. Maybe they'll make Flat Kirk, err Flat Shatner for Priceline...

    ReplyDelete
  20. She's lucky on her moms side... I'm not all that lucky...except my wife, kids, house, job, and nevertheless I am lucky enough!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pinky does NOT sleep with me, I want to be clear on that. She is too naughty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. HA! You and Pinky, on such great adventures. That should be a children's book...cute...or creepy maybe. I don't know. But seriously, you're an awesome day for doing this for your little girl! 

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Katie! A children's book would be creepy now since the Pinky, tell all is out...

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is just so sweet!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is so cool! And I would love to see the look on the face of those TSA agents when you travel with Pinky!

    ReplyDelete
  26. They're stoic and reserved. I'm pretty sure half of them wouldn't blink if Pinky spoke to them, and the other half...thinks he did.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome post! I laughed, I cried, I totally saw Pinky flipping me off.

    ReplyDelete
  28. She's a Diva with a B. thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You're the best dad EVER.  ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  30. My nieces stick dirty underwear in my luggage.  I don't know what I am supposed to do with that.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a cool dad you are taking Pinky with you, unless of course you really do enjoy pinkys company then maybe you are a little odd..........lol

    ReplyDelete
  32. You rock!  Your daughter will always remember that you did this for her, and I bet you'll be laughing about it for the rest of your lives.  Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love you blog and I think I love Pinky too.  

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey thanks for the kind words. I will let Pinky know, but she might have been sleeping on the engine block again.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for the kind words, I hope my daughter will remember this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You make me laugh, Nellie!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You've read long enough to know I am odd, Jo-Anne! Did you get the book?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very nice, Very very nice.
    I think I kinda like Pinky, even if she is a Biva

    ReplyDelete
  39. Loved the humor. Imagining Pinky going through security and the TSA is laugh out loud. Sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  40. It is a fantastic post. I love Pinky and your daughter and that you do this for her. I'm going to share the idea with my girls and their dad because he travels a lot and they sure do miss him. TY.

    ReplyDelete
  41. That. Is. Awesome! You're a great dad for doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm inspired!  We are totally instituting this tradition in my family.  Now, to pick out the most embarrassing stuffed animal...

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks Delilah...

    ReplyDelete
  44. It is super easy with camera phones and text messaging to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Cracker Barrel has some really awesome ones right now...

    ReplyDelete
  46. Awww, how sweet. That's great that you take the time to do that for your daughter. I am sure that makes her very happy.:) I just wish my computer would let me see the friggin pics!

    ReplyDelete
  47. The pictures are the best part. Sorry you can't see them.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love this!  I love the idea of it (even if it came from an ATT commercial).  I love the pictures and the commentary.  I'm cracking up but in a very sentimental way!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Glad you enjoyed it, now go vote :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. The fact that you are willing to do all that for your daughter says a lot about you as a father. I only hope that, when that day comes for me, I'll be as willing to take pictures with a pink unicorn as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  51. So cool. Not only will your daughter love the Pinky pics in years to come, but she will have so many pics of her Dad, too!

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a great idea. We have Chuck the Chick who travels WITH us on adventures, but I love that Pinky travels with you in place of your daughter. Sweet tradition, and you are totally right: there is no middle ground in the great dad or creepy stalker debate. Fun post, Erin

    ReplyDelete
  53. Awesome post dude, very cute.

    I think I will have to give you my number so you can text me pictures of Pinky to make me squeal with delight.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I totally came back today on my work computer JUST to look at the pics. They're too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Seems like Pinky is really a party girl. Hope she doesn't get you in too much trouble on the road...

    ReplyDelete
  56. I think the pink unicorn is even better than a bunny! I hope you got lots of clicks from Yeah Write Me. Wait, I'm going to drive to a McDonald's so I can click again............................................................Okay, I'm back. But seriously, you melted my heart a bit. As long as you don't ask a KID to take your picture with Pinky, I think you are firmly out of the creepers category. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  57. What a great post! I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  58. So glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  59. She stays in the hotel room if I go out. She's a drinker and runs her mouth a little too much.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thanks for your vote(s) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Awkward... You said squeal

    ReplyDelete
  62. Chuck the chick might have to make an appearance...

    ReplyDelete

Share

Widgets

All Time Most Read