Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Catching the Crafty Cat



I only eat Chicken Liver
as part of my Catfish
It all started with a quart of chicken liver on a quiet evening on the bank of a small pond near where I grew up. I had fished this pond quite often growing up. I pulled boatloads of sunfish and crappie from that pond on a regular basis. (minus the boat) Each time returning them to the same waters so they could breed incessantly. So numerous were those sunfish that the spring ritual of stocking the pond with small bass was likely ruined by their hungry mouths consuming the bass that were rightfully mine!




A Face only a Mother could love
But on this night, surrounded by the eclectic collection of black ducks, mallard ducks, domesticated geese, and what can only be described as the ugly products of their forbidden love, I sat quietly watching.







Not MY Catfish
Watching was what you did when fishing for catfish. You baited your hooks, for one mere pole was not enough, and waited. The casts were some of the farthest you could remember, as weights were used to be certain the bait was dragged as far into the depths and as close to the very bottom as possible, for this was the home of the catfish. Often, small bells, like on a cat collar, were used on the tip of the pole to alert the fisherman of a moving pole.


Now, the catfish isn't a particularly discerning eater. At this pond where families are frequently fed and the ducks even more so, catfish probably enjoy a diet that includes, bread, hot dogs and marshmallows. His sense of smell is far better than his sight, hence the "stink bait," and his activities pick up around dusk.


The Actual Pond, not my secret spot...
Because this particular pond closes at dusk, fishing for Mr. Catfish was often begun a bit early and ended too soon. The more poles you could deploy, the better your odds of hooking one before the teenage park "ranger" closed the fishermen down.

Catching a catfish is a fun experience for anyone. This isn't a fish that will struggle against your line like a Largemouth Bass. You don't get the epic fight with a jerking pole. This guy once he realizes he is hooked will extend his pectoral fins (the ones in front of the pictured hand) and essentially anchor himself to whatever is around him.

The trick to dislodging a crafty cat is to walk up and down the bank to tug on him in a direction he is not expecting. Once his anchor is broken, he will struggle a bit and try to swim away, until he is able to re-anchor himself. Lather, rinse, repeat until the line snaps or he is on land.

I recall that between my friend Mike and I, we probably had 7 poles baited and cast. We'd done this with some success over the years and often caught smaller cats. We had also hooked what we assumed to be a turtle or three. You almost never reel in a turtle, they bite through the hook or line and would likely snap the pole if it were close enough.

But this was a new night, a new destiny...

Within ten minutes of getting our lines wet, two bells rang. The two of us leaped to the poles, as a turtle can easily drag a pole into the water. Mike manned his pole and I mine. We worked in tandem walking the banks sometimes in the same direction, often crossing, to land the fish.

Mike was able to land his fish in a more timely fashion and he wasn't a keeper. The small fish croaked it's displeasure about breathing air as Mike worked to remove the hook. Because catfish swallow their food whole, the hook is often too deep to recover, but with a long handled dentist tool (somehow dentistry finds its way into another post!) we could often remove the hook. The alternative is to cut the line and release the fish. Often the line cut is preferred because the catfish has a venom in its fins that can cause quite a sting if the fisherman's skin is broken.

I was still fighting mine and was fairly certain that I hadn't hooked a log or worse a turtle. As I worked my way and down the bank, the park ranger was making his way over to close up our shop.

Normally, we could make enough small talk to finish landing a hooked fish, but there were a few times that the menacing teenager with a flashlight forced lines to be reeled or cut. As this was our only bells for the evening, the idea of cutting lines, the proverbial cutting bait, wasn't in our plans.

As Mike worked on chatting with the ranger and pulling in our other lines, I continued my valiant fight to bring this spare tire on land.  As I began to fear that I had hooked a smaller turtle, each bend of my pole sure to be its last, the line began to move closer to shore.  Normally, neither turtles or catfish (or spare tires for that matter) will choose to swim into shallower waters, so I was truly mystified by what was going to be on land in mere moments.

As I was getting closer to my prize, or he to me, the Ranger decided to show some interest in my catch and wandered over.  Keenly aware that he likely wanted to cite me for pulling a tire from the lake that was not covered by my permit, I made sure he knew I had a fish on the line.

As I pulled mightily on my pole (did I just say that out loud) the most beautifully ugly catfish face was born into the oxygen.  Heaving the first of the last breaths he would take with a characteristic croaking noise, his fate sealed, he extended all his fins in one last attempt to cause bodily harm.  I had caught a lunker.  I have no idea what that means, but it felt right to say it.  He was clearly longer than the ten inches he needed to be for me to keep him. His weight came in around 17 pounds, but with catfish you never know if they've just eaten three sets of bait, hooks and weights.

I exclaimed to Mike in the loudest and proudest voice I could muster: "Catfish for Dinner!"


Stay tuned next week for Part II: Catfish Flambé or How I Burned Down Mom's Kitchen




I'm again participating in YeahWrite which is an outstanding collection of writers. Click the picture and read some of the 75 outstanding entries there. I guarantee you will find at least one new blog to follow!

That's http://yeahwrite.me/54-open/ or
http://yeahwrite.me/54-voting/ if you're reading this Thursday.


36 comments:

  1. By far, the most entertaining post I've ever read about fishing.  I'm laughing to myself thinking of how funny the video to all of this would be.  Glad you caught 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I had caught a lunker."....well, thanks.  Now, I'll have this running through my head all day at the office.  Actually, this might become my catch phrase of the day.
     
    Totally enjoyed this; it gave me a wonderful visual of laid-back summer days on the water.  Like they say, even a bad day of fishing beats...well, anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be your "catch" phrase of the day, eh? Nicely played.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interestingly, this started as its sequel. I can't wait to finish the story of burning down Mom's Kitchen. Yeah Write 55, here we come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was awesome! I'm marrying a fisherman, so that was an extra delight and I learned some stuff too! Who knew catfish did all that? Not I!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fishing is pure fun! This piece conveys that too. I like that you seem to understand this particular fish pretty well---catfish are pretty apt to eat everything but the kitchen sink. Nice post, Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. If anybody had told me that fishing could be full of suspense, I wouldn't have believed them... nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was married to a hunter/fisherman and I love fishing.  My ex would cast and reel all day whether he was catching anything or not. Crappie, my fav. For people who have never fished before, you made it so worth giving hit a try. Lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to fish with my dad waaay back when and this was a great read and a great trip down memory lane for me. Although, I never caught a lunker. Ever. That would have been so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a great post. We cat fish often. You made me eager to get on the lake again ASAP. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Sheila. I used to fish a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only had success with the catfish, Bass eluded me. I did catch some trout on fly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad I spurred that on for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking of writing a murder mystery where the fish does it....

    ReplyDelete
  15. And they taste so good! Like the Pork of the pond...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucky man if you'll join him on the lake, pond, river, ocean, etc.

    Well, I suppose he's lucky either way :)

    ReplyDelete
  17.  I have a feeling the arson story is gonna be more fun, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a battle! My in-laws have a lake full of catfish on their farm and I take my daughters there to feed them sometimes when we visit (it's amazing they way they swarm to the surface) but I've never tried fishing for one. It sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Pulled mightily on my pole". Love. It.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a great fishing tale! Catfish fishing sounds much more exciting than the crappy fishing we do at our local lake. 

    ReplyDelete
  21. Would you think badly of me if I told you I was hooked on your story?  How about if I said I am not really into fishing, but your details reeled me in?  No really - this was a good story!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah, a woman who doles out pun-ishment....I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Unless the crappy get big, there is small sport (great for kids) but not much to eat.
    Did you know that you can night fish for crappy? They are attracted to light so if your bait is near your bobber, shine a flashlight near it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah, I knew the pervs would like that...lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, don't you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I actually enjoy fishing but this post makes it sound like the most interesting activity in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My dad used to take me fishing all the time as a child, it was one of our favorite time together. This post took me right back there!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm glad that you got to reminisce!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fishing yuck............lol I am not a fishing person I would rather sit in the car and read a book while hubby fished.........ok that's a lie I would rather stay home and blog and let him go fishing on his own.............lol

    ReplyDelete
  31. I hear that too. I like the spoils a bit more than the activity, so sometimes my fishing trip is to the market.

    ReplyDelete
  32. as i former tagalong fishing gal, who caught catfish in one of the filthiest rivers in NJ, I must say your tale brought back fond memories and reminded me I should renew my quest for a fish larger than the one my husband catches.  Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I read this as fish larger than my husband...

    ReplyDelete
  34. I kind of like the battle of man versus fish. Stick me in the chair and let that sucker try to rip out my arms.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh I like a good battle. So long as it is a fish and not an old boot or large log...

    ReplyDelete

Share

Widgets

All Time Most Read