Sunday, November 18, 2012

Poker vs. Poke Her

You can tell a lot about how a guy is going to flirt by how he bets in Poker.


I know you're thinking I'm crazy, which makes you...

 

...A first time reader.

So what makes me so bold in this proclamation? Guys are who they are no matter what the circumstances are and normally they don't behave differently when the social venue changes.


Let me give you 4 examples:

1. Jack "The Unpredictable"

Have you ever played online poker? There are plenty of sites out there that let you play with "fake money." They give you $10,000 and you can earn money just for showing up each day to play. There really is no risk.

Jack will sit down at a table and immediately go "All-In" with the Table maximum. This could be $400-$1000 or more of fake money. Jack isn't looking to play around. If he loses, his losses are $1000 that isn't real. If he can get 4-5 of the people at the table to call him and equally risk some of the play money, He could win a single hand and be up $5000 right off the bat. He is there for instant gratification.

With the Ladies, Jack is going to have a similar tact. He is going to walk up to quite a few with a cheesy line and deliver it in the shortest amount of time possible. Jack will be looking to leave that night with something equally worthless, not in the lady, but in the time he wants to spend with her. He is looking for a good time and in the shortest time possible. He isn't concerned with Quality, but rather Quantity.

2. "Aggressive" Steve

Steve wants to win, but isn't foolish to do so. He takes more chances. As the movie Rounders taught us, sometimes you play the cards, and sometimes you play against the other players. Steve definitely plays the other players. He won't have the flush, but if there is a flush draw, he may bet big to have you THINK that he has a flush.

Now, with the ladies, Steve is aggressive as well. He oozes confidence and he will flirt with a lady who is already with someone, but he won't be "serious" unless she is interested. Count on Steve to make an inappropriate reference to the size of his junk. Steve doesn't have to be a great guy, he just has to be a better guy than any of the other available options. Steve is hard to move off a target and once he makes a move, everything is committed to a night of passion.

 

3. "Tight" Mark

Mark plays tight. What exactly does that mean? Mark isn't going to play 10-7 Off Suit. Good Lord, what does that mean? This isn't a good place for a full explanation of poker (as if I know), but let's say that Mark wants his hand to be as good as it can be. Even if he thinks he has the best hand, he isn't looking to chase anyone out. He isn't going to be betting crazy. His bets will be consistent, but he will always believe he has to work it all the way until the end. He may go All-In, but it will likely be only to serve a warning to the other players that he will taking their money. He will be called out for "slow-rolling" to get more bets. It isn't his intention to be misleading.

Mark won't believe you like him. His entire cautious style will lead him to take it slow. He will have the emotions, but he isn't going to show them right away. Any relationship with Mark is going to be a slow build. It might take him enjoying some social friend time in the company of others to actually ask you out. Mark doesn't kiss on a first date. He isn't going to race to the bedroom. He's not going to have a play date with his parents in the first month. He will win over your sister AND your best friend, treating them almost as well as he treats you. Make no mistake, once Mark has found his mate, he will be All-In with a proposal.

 

4. Dave "Slow Roll"

Bets a card AFTER he catches his straight or the not so biblical three kings. You will never know what is on Dave's mind until he's taking down the pot. He will pull coy moves like flipping and down playing the Jack that gives him two pair, only to flip the 7 that gives him the full house. He wants you to bet so he can seem like he really has to think about whether he wants to call. He will often tell you he doesn't think you have the card and push his stack All-In.

At a bar, Dave is going to be interested in your friend. He knows this is going to burn you up and make you try harder. He's going to get you to ask him to dance and he may even turn you down the first time you ask. Dave will turn out to be a little bit of a game player, but might be reformable as a boyfriend, but he will still go play cards with the boys now and again and make you just a little crazy.

 

I know which type of guy I am in both venues, I suppose you can probably guess as well.

 

Who is THIS guy?
I bet I can tell you which type this guy is...

(See what I did there?)


What Type Are You?













 

Dude Write

 

I'm ALL IN this week on Dude Write, the place where Dudes Write, and compete, and generally scratch themselves. Check it out.

 

20 comments:

  1. Interesting parallels. I will fully trust your expertise, which must have taken a lot of extensive bar research to acquire! It's been ages since I played Texas Hold Em, but I usually play tight for a while until I lose my patience and start playing stupid. Have no clue what that makes me. "Psycho Dan"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, we are similar. Patience is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a good one! Not knowing how to play poker, I will have to take your word on this. But knowing what I like in guys, I would have to say I'd take a Mark. I'm over Daves, who I've liked in the past and made me feel insecure. Sometimes, though, it's hard to tell the Marks from the Daves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say that I would fit the tight description, I have always been cautious in most everything I try, my wife told me that she had flirted with me for nearly a year before I picked up on it Ha Ha, good thing I don't play cards for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a year? My wife crows about the whole night I was oblivious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark and Dave are tough to tell apart for sure. You can be happy with a Dave, but the ride will be more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a fun post. I think you have a winner here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting thesis.


    I think I'd be a royal flush kind of guy; but maybe that's just my blood pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was funny was that the purpose of the post to make me laugh.............or was I suppose to think well whatever it was I laughed maybe because I could just picture certain men I know as you described each one............or maybe it's because I am in so much pain and feel like total shit that I cracked up because it was better then crying...............whichever I laughed and that felt good.............thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate to that Kevin. I don't usually drink too much when I play cards, but my flirting style is "augmented" at times.. Haha!
    WG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Chubby! This was fun to write.

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see what you did there!

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jo-Anne you sound a bit blue. I'm glad you saw the humor in it all.

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  14. A good poker player will be all four of those guys at different times.

    And yea, who IS that guy??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, also a very funny post. Also very funny that I now understand your comment on my blog a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you liked it. Obviously, I am not a good poker player at this point.
    Perhaps you gotta come down and sit in on a game. Explain all the really technical terms, like outs...lol (yes, I actually laughed)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scott, I enjoyed this. I'm going to be the A-hole that screws up your system. I'm more like Steve in the poker room and Mark in the bar room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. One in every crowd they say...

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  19. Where's the guy that doesn't understand how poker is played so he shows everyone his flush and asks if "that's good"? Because I'm definitely that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seldom having any luck with the ladies, "The Clueless" Ben is often found telling women that he is just looking for a replacement for mom. He is looking for a girl who is handy with a sharpie to write his name in his underwear...

    I jest, since I forgot that my full house beat the flush and didn't bet....sheesh I am a moron.

    ReplyDelete

Share

Widgets

All Time Most Read